9.04.2007

"Here i am expecting just a little bit too much from the wounded"

There are two men.

Man #1 does fine in school, goes to college and makes connections with people in the marketing school and ends up with a fairly high powered position in a big business. He partied pretty hard in college, never really made any extraordinary connection with anybody when he didn't think it would get him ahead in any way. Man #1 enjoys the way his job allows him to live: he has a nice home and a highly respectable home theater system. He eventually marries a girl he's been seeing; the sex is really good and they get along well enough (though he doesn't realize that she compromises 90% of the time so as not to make waves). They live a perfectly normal life with 3 children.

Man #2 does equally well in school, but goes to college to find it's hard to be motivated by money alone, and that he desires to live his life pursuing a dream job regardless of what it pays him, or how long it takes him to find it. He also realizes how important the people in his life are, so he spends more time working at his relationships than he does at his schoolwork, and therefore gets, maybe Cs and Bs. He above all understands the ultimate value of love and beauty. I won't tell you whether or not he succeeds in his career, but I will say he's very passionate about it, and he at least makes enough of a living to provide a comfortable life for his 2 children and his wife. His wife also works, but the two of them find time to make passionate love more often than any of their friends because they are more in love today than they ever have been in their lives. Man #2 also loves his children very much.

Which of these people is the "successful" man?





This one hurts a lot worse than the last one.

2 comments:

murielg said...

Oh boy. I was well on my way to being Man#1. I was majoring in Management Information Services (which I hated), engaged to someone who was easy to get along with (but we weren't in love), and living in a town where the cost of living was low enough that we could afford to drive a nice car yet be close enough to two major metropolitan cities that we could spend the weekends there (yet I had no family and few friends nearby.)

When one of my best friends from high school got brain caner, I realised that life is too short to do anything you are not passionate about.

I switched to a major that I love with all my heart. I moved to a town where I can easily drive to see my family every weekend. I have devoted myself to forming and maintaining friendships based on helping each other out. I am open to love.

All this has happenned in the last fourteen months. It has been the best year of my life. I made the leap of love, and I'm not looking back.

Mark said...

If they're both happy, what's wrong with either one?