3.05.2007

Film Journal 3/5

Let me just say it: I love The Matrix 2. Yes, the third one is pretty bad, and neither of them are as good as the first one, but I was not disappointed at all with the second installment in the Wachowski brothers' trilogy.There are tons of reasons why I could defend the film, and many reasons why I could knock it. But mostly I just absolutely love the whole car chase. After the special effects of the first film, they had big expectations to fill. With the Agent Smith(s) battle they were sort of able to do this, but the highway sequence took their brand of action to a new territory. It was a wholly original take on the olllld tradition of the car chase. When those who semi trucks slam into each other and explode in slow motion at the end, I almost shed a tear from the sheer beauty of it.

I know I end up saying this a lot on here, but this movie is not "classic cinema" by any means, but It's a damn fun ride, and that was good enough for me.

No comments: