1.23.2007

Film Journal 1/23


Well, I'd be surprised if anybody except for Professor Jacobson is reading this, so, hello Professor Jacobson.

Last night I watched Die Hard 2, and it wasn't exactly "fine cinema" by any means, but it was a fun ride nonetheless I suppose. The main thing I took away from it was that the plot didn't have the break-neck pace of most of the action films that come out these days. It seems to me that almost all movies released in the past 5 years or so race towards their ending almost as if they don't feel they can keep the audience's attention span through clear to the end.

The action itself in Die Hard 2 wasn't slow, nor was it an especially long movie, but there were parts near the middle of the film where they were pretty much just waiting on the terrorists to do something (and for Bruce Willis to witty quips). It was almost as if the filmmakers were giving the audience the benefit of the doubt that we weren't going to change the channel between explosions just because they couldn't cut the plot down to a "stomachable" 90 minutes.

It's very refreshing to see a film (especially an action film!) that stops to smell the roses along the way. Just off the top of my head, another movie released lately that did this was Good Night and Good Luck. A relaxed pace is certainly something I would like to incorporate into my work.

No comments: