1.25.2007

Film Journal 1/25

Yesterday while walking to class I was listening to a Blind Melon song called "The Duke," which goes "Out here in the nothin' engulfed by the sea/ And there's no one here 'cept these fishes and me." So I started picturing myself walking underwater and I decided that would be a beautiful image for an experimental film: someone walking underwater, only they're actually on the street, there's no one else walking like that, and there's no water around.

The person would be walking much slower and doing that thing with their arms to kind of swim/walk as they go, but they'd be removed from their surroundings in this cool visual juxtaposition.

I'm nearly certain that this can't be a totally original idea; it must be in some music video or avant-garde film somewhere. But I'm also wondering what the best way to do it would be? It would be nearly impossibly to chroma key a person who's actually under water, and a roto-scopejob would take nearly forever if the shot was at all sizable in length.

Nonetheless, I'd love to see if this little "problem" would be a fun one to tackle. Maybe I'll try to photoshop something more like what I'm actually picturing and post it at a later date.

No comments: