2.10.2007

Film Journal 2/10

Well, I'm fairly embarrassed about how much I enjoy horror movies, so to make up for it I'm going to run the opposite direction here and mention how much I love Cameron Crowe's early film Singles, a romantic comedy about dating in the early 90s Seattle grunge scene. It's not really just a run of the mill romantic comedy: the story is told in vignettes, and the characters seem more believable than characters in most films of this genre. Also, the soundtrack sold extremely well featuring music from Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, and many other popular bands from the Seattle area.
The visual style is pretty run of the mill, as is the editing, but the characters and story take front seat in the movie making it a lot of fun to watch... especially on a date (I think there's plenty to keep men and women interested here). I've always loved Cameron Crowe, and this is certainly an important film from his early years for any Cameron Crowe fan to see.

No comments: