2.16.2007

Film Journal 2/16

I'm still stuck on Robert Zemeckis, so I'll let my guard down a little and reveal the softer side of TheMindtaker:

Forrest Gump is a beautiful film-- perhaps the best film of the '90s, or at least one of the most relevant-- but amid all the social consciousness and brilliant acting there's one moment that always makes me cry. When Forrest finds out that Jenny has had his child, after saying he's the most beautiful thing he has ever seen he asks, "Is he smart or is he...--" and he sort of points to himself. Throughout the who movie Forrest never truly admits to being stupid (replying only "stupid is as stupid does" much of the time), however this moment reveals to the audience that Forrest not only cares for his child, but he realizes he is not as smart as most other people, which makes his extraordinary life ever more extraordinary. He did not back down in the face of his adversity.

Now when I explain it like this it seems far less emotional or beautiful, so I suggest not over-analyzing it, but just letting Tom Hank's masterful performance (perhaps the best of his career) carry you into Gump's world.

No comments: